Customs Compliance Manager
Location: Seattle, WA
Salary: $100,000 - $130,000
Job Type: Direct Hire
This Customs Compliance Manager is responsible for providing leadership and
supervision to the Customs Compliance Team (8-12 professionals) who ensure
process and compliance requirements are adhered to for all international
shipments. This includes the Customs and Trade Partnership Against Terrorism
(C-TPAT) programs and compliance with all U.S. Customs and Border Protection and
other trade compliance regulations, company policies and procedures.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Management and development of customs compliance team to include
expectations, coaching, cross training, goal setting, and performance
- Oversee management of recordkeeping system to ensure CBP recordkeeping
requirements are satisfied.
- Provide strategic guidance on the incorporation of trade compliance
requirements into the Company’s business processes.
- Drive continued improvement of the Customs Compliance and C-TPAT
programs to ensure continued efficiencies during growth and regulatory
- Stay abreast of US trade laws and customs regulations as well as global
standards; provide updates to management of new developments and potential
- Evaluate, implement and maintain import policies, procedures and manuals
compliant with US Customs regulations and company policies.
- Work with Sourcing Team to identify opportunities and determine product
eligibility for trade preference programs (DR-CAFTA, AGOA, NAFTA, et al).
- Review and develop enhancements to the company’s internal audit program.
- Analyze existing systems to develop and implement compliance improvement
and corrective action plans as necessary.
- Decision making on classification, country of origin, valuation, and
- Primary contact person for US Customs and manage all US Customs audits
- Monitor and partner with internal and external stakeholders to ensure
accuracy, controls and timeliness of processes are not compromised.
- Manage reports on import trade data in ACE and various other resources.
- Provide compliance training to internal and external stakeholders.
- Implement and manage cost savings programs that may include First Sale
and Foreign Trade Zones.
- Research global trade and import compliance requirements into other
REQUIREMENTS FOR POSITION
- Strong interpersonal skills for working with various levels of internal
and external stakeholders who have diverse backgrounds and skill sets.
- Entrepreneurial spirt, that considers the global reach and impact.
- Must be proactive in recognizing and adjusting to shifting priorities
with the ability to anticipate problems, recommend solutions and implement
- Self-motivated with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple
- Strong customer focus including timely follow up and sense of urgency.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written); demonstrated
analytical and strategic thinking skills; attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of import trade regulations, classification, and
valuation, country of origin, duty preference programs and supply chain
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills with the ability to
influence others through demonstrated expertise.
- Ability to accurately understand and interpret government regulations.
- Ethical dedication to keeping organization trade practices and sensitive
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access)
and internet research skills.
- Ability to travel as needed, approximately 15%.
- Experience in a leadership capacity with demonstrated professionalism,
creativity and vision.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or logistics and/or equivalent
- Minimum five years import, export compliance and/or international trade
experience; experience in the apparel industry a plus.
- Licensed U.S. Customs Broker (holding a valid license).
- Experience with Trade Preference Programs preferred.
Remember to mention you found this listing at www.leaphart.com/JobOpenings.php