Research Consultant - HTS Classification
Company: Livingston International
Location: El Segundo, CA,
Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain, Capital Markets, and Executive Office
Employment type: Full-time
Job function: Administrative,General Business
Livingston International is a leading North American provider of
international trade facilitation and compliance services, comprising customs
brokerage, global trade management outsourcing, trade consulting and
international freight forwarding. Livingston’s services combine the expertise of
highly specialized professionals with the advances of innovative technology and
electronic networks. Today, the private equity firm Sterling Partners along with
the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board owns Livingston.
While officially headquartered in Toronto, the Chief Executive Officer and
other key leaders are based in various U.S. locations. Livingston has a rich
history. Founded in 1945, it has pursued a course of action combining organic
growth with strategic acquisitions for more than 65 years.
With approximately 3,200 employees at over 125 key border crossings, sea
ports, airports and other strategic locations in the United States, Canada,
Mexico, Europe and Asia, Livingston clears the way for international trade, so
businesses can grow – faster, smarter, further. The company works with its
clients to ensure that imports and exports clear boarders quickly, all trades
are in compliance with regulations, the payment of duties is minimized through
the optimization of free trade agreements and other special programs and clients
are able to plan for changes in regulatory requirements.
As the regulatory and security environment grows increasingly complex, the
need for Livingston’s support continues to expand. In addition, integrated
capability provides clients with a one-stop solution.
- Largest customs broker in Canada; third in the U.S.
- Diverse client base of over 38,000 importers and exporters in a wide
variety of industries
- North American licensed customs brokers: over 125 in Canada; over 180 in
- North American certified customs specialists: over 270 in Canada; over
60 in the U.S.
- Number of shipments cleared into North America: over 22,500 per day
Customs clearance and international trade compliance is the cornerstone of
the business. Livingston simplifies trade by managing the vast nexus of
government agencies, regulations, protocols and information that can be
overwhelming for companies to navigate on their own. As the economic, regulatory
and security backdrop increases in complexity, businesses engaged in
international trade increasingly rely on Livingston as their trusted partner and
Keeping trade flowing
Livingston’s operating systems and technology infrastructure are designed and
continually upgraded to drive efficiency. The company’s internal processes are
standardized and their offices are all connected. Livingston has the skills,
systems and speed to transform digital information to and from importers,
shippers, carriers and governments, allowing goods to flow seamlessly across the
border and around the globe.
Focusing on growth
Livingston International’s strategy hinges on maintaining and solidifying the
company’s position as market leader in Canada and the U.S., while aggressively
pursuing opportunities for international expansion, driven by the needs of its
clients. Sterling and CPPIB’s management expertise and significant capital
resources provide a solid platform to affect meaningful growth and strategic
- 2003 Launched into the U.S. air/sea brokerage and forwarding sector.
- 2006 Successfully acquired and integrated its then-largest competitor in
- 2010 Established a base of operations along the U.S.-Mexico border.
- 2011 Expanded capabilities in Southeastern U.S.; significantly expanded
sales group to support U.S. growth.
- 2012 Extended global trade management offering to Mexico, Europe and
- 2014 Signed first global trade management contract in South America.
- Reports to the Western Region Consultant in the El Segundo, CA office,
this position acts as a member of the project team, providing technical
support in the areas of research, case preparation, and project completion
- Responsible for the analysis and interpretation of information received
- Required to perform complex data analysis for goods in all industries
- May be responsible for validating country-specific import/export
- Conduct analysis on client classification databases and make
recommendations to the Consulting Team Utilizes strong
- HTS classification experience on projects (hi-tech, aerospace,
electronics, chemicals a plus)
- Prioritizes and completes work according to project demands, government
requirements, and Livingston standards
- Participates fully with other team members in the day-to-day operation
of the team, including setting priorities, organizing and scheduling work,
coordinating with others, problem solving and decision making, participating
in meetings and handling project requirements
- High School Diploma
- 3 years working knowledge and experience with classifying products on
the Harmonized Tariff Schedules ("HTS") and assigning HTS classifications to
products to the most specific digits
- Strong analytical and attention to detail skills with a high level of
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent PC skills, including MS Excel and Access
Remember to mention you found this listing at www.leaphart.com/JobOpenings.php